Home » Self-Assessment Essay

Self-Assessment Essay

The fourth and final major assignment is the self-assessment essay which requires addressing all the course learning objectives and discuss how they’ve been utilized throughout my work with textual evidence from my own previous work. It can be concluded that while not every learn course objective has been executed I understand the role each course learning objective plays when trying to execute a polished piece. This piece also helps display how I have evolved as a reader from the very first assignment to the last.

Within this essay, you will navigate through my journey as a writer, as well as the road to advancing my knowledge and skills from taking this course. It was not easy attempting to execute the course learning objectives. However, it has provided refinement in my work and improved my writing skills tremendously. To support this claim I will draw reference to my own personal work to display growth. At the end of this paper, you will learn two things which include the ways my perceptions on what writing is and does evolve this semester and the extent I have achieved the course learning objectives.

Writing’s main purpose is to serve as a form of communication. With the formation of letters and symbols, humans have used writing to get messages across clearly and concisely. Writing remains to be a fundamental part of education as the process of learning any subject begins with the exchange of information through writing.

Within English course 210001, there were 3 major assignments, during the very first assignment “Essay 1” asked the students to create a rhetorical analysis paper about a social, political, or economic paper that sparks our interest. While learning how to practice using various library resources, and the internet to locate sources appropriate to the writing project. This was evident when the author wrote quotes “ It was Donald Trump’s duty to quickly deploy a national guard to fight against the mob of violent rioters and protect the lives of those within the capital. However, according to (Giella, 2021) “ The deployment of the National Guard was anything but immediate. Multiple reports show that the Pentagon refused authorization of additional National Guard support after rioters broke into the Capitol.  (Wright’s Analysis) This evidence shows how the president’s decision to neglect requesting national guard during the midst of an attack on the capitol makes him responsible.” Within the one quote, Wright was demonstrating two of the course learning objectives by utilizing the internet to retrieve the article best fit for this rhetorical analysis. Wright not only learned to find appropriate sources for the writing project but also how to formulate and articulate a stance. This was achieved through author Wright’s repetitive behavior of introducing articles that solidify her argument of president trump being responsible for the insurrection that occurred at the capitol. An example of this is when Wright quotes “At about 12:53 the president delivered a speech at one of his rallies, telling his supporters to “never concede when there’s theft involved.  (Wright” Analysis) By delivering this type of message Trump is continuously pushing the false notion that the election was stolen and he wants his supporters to fight for what they believe was taken from them.” These two excerpts from essays on Wright have demonstrated understanding of two-course learning objectives with help of the professor’s thoughtful feedback. Wright was able to achieve the course learning objectives to their fullest extent by demonstrating 2 learning objective skills continuously throughout the paper. Which shows how Wright’s writing quality is slowly evolving and improving as she refines her writing by using the most appropriate article to support her stand and learning to use the internet to its fullest potential to help find the best articles for evidence.

During the second assignment, it was a whole lot different! Instead of writing just a traditional essay, we were asked to create an audience strategy paper and a multimedia composition regarding an important socioeconomic issue. Wright’s chosen socioeconomic issue was about the rise of unemployment rates due to the impact of COVID-19. Within the second assignment, Wright demonstrated an understanding of The course learning objectives. Wright has learned how to successfully engage in genre analysis and multimodal composing to explore effective writing across disciplinary contexts and beyond By creating her own visual regarding the financial hardship COVID-19 has placed on millions of people. These assignments’ unique requirements allowed Wright to develop new skills as a writer by attempting to make specific artistic choices in the composition of her visual to adequately reflect the financial struggle Covid-19 has implemented for many people. As Wright continues through this English course she shows improvement of recently utilized skills like integrating quotes. This was evident in Wright hook when she stated “Since the beginning of COVID-19 an average of 7.7 million people has lost their jobs due to the pandemic. Leaving many people incapable of paying their rent, utilities, or providing food for their families. “ The way Wright has seamlessly interwoven the quote into her essay as the hook demonstrates how much she’s evolved from the writer that she was at the beginning of the semester.  Before enrollment, in this English course, Wright used to struggle with naturally blending data into her work. Now Wright displays progress and more refinement in her final product due to the exercise of this acquired skill.

For essay three Wright has been able to create a bibliography relevant to the topic of women’s reproductive rights. Within assignment three Wright has acknowledged a range of linguistic differences as resources and draws on those resources to develop rhetorical sensibility. This was evident in essay 3 when Wright quotes “ In the article, heart utilizes a critical tone to draw a sense of urgency to her message. This was evident when she used phrases like “ women engaged in sex work or who use drugs, and women living with HIV—are most at risk of having their reproductive rights infringed upon. Human rights organizations need to be engaged in efforts to protect women’s reproductive rights. (Wright’s Analysis ) the heart uses sex workers and female drug addicts as a prime example of women who may need help advocating for their reproductive rights.” Within this quote Wright demonstrates the use of analyzing a text to determine the author’s tone and how it can aid in developing her rhetorical essay’s message and increase the amount of rhetorical sensibility shown.

A goal that Wright hasn’t seemed to achieve is the collaborative and social aspects of the writing process. When she is to engage in peer editing and commenting on other people’s work to let others know whether she agrees or disagrees with another writer’s response. She tends to shy away from that aspect of the course. However, it has affected me when trying to revise my assignment and my lack of participation in peer review or commenting enabled me to only get minimal feedback of my work from peers. Going forward I would actively comment and engage in peer editing as it helps to gain different perspectives of your work and find areas of improvement to achieve a more polished final product.

To conclude English 21001 has been highly beneficial in the development of my skills as a writer through the use of the course learning objectives. I was able to work on my revising methods, practice using various sources and websites, formulate and articulate a clear stance, develop rhetorical sensibility, and strengthen my source use methods. I can truly say that I have evolved for the better as a writer from the beginning of the class until now. Although I may not have fully mastered every skill taught in this course. I have approached every assignment with the goal of understanding the task at hand and the best possible way to execute it through the exercise of my acquired skills.